What are the Most Common Causes of House Fires?
Fire Safety Tips from Olde Fort Restoration
House fires can happen to anyone. One minute we’re cooking dinner for the family and the next the whole kitchen is burnt to a crisp. Most fires that occur at home are accidents caused by improper storage of flammable materials, faulty electrical appliances or simple negligence. We’ll cover the most common causes of residential house fires and tips on how to prevent them in Cincinnati, OH.
Cooking equipment can easily overheat and cause a fire if someone walks away and leaves cooking food unattended. In fact, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) found that 46% of all home structure fires resulted from cooking equipment in 2015.
Portable heaters, toasters, light bulbs or faulty wiring can create electrical hazards that quickly turn into flames when nearby curtains, furniture or other flammable materials. Frequently inspect your furnaces and appliances to ensure they’re in proper working order.
If you have any flammable liquids in the home or garage such as petrol, kerosene or methylated spirits, make sure to keep them away from heat sources. Check the label before storing for special instructions and be careful when pouring.
Lightning strikes or dry seasons can result in sudden and unexpected fire disasters. Make sure your family has an emergency fire plan and knows what to do during a storm or other extreme weather event.
When you experience fire damage, call the restoration pros at Olde Fort Restoration to help return your property to pre-loss condition anywhere in the Cincinnati, OH area. We can help.