What to Do When You Experience Water Damage
When your home or business experiences a flood or other water damage disaster, it may be hard to know what to do next. There are some crucial steps you can take that will help prevent further damages as well as protect you and your family. There are also certain things you should avoid to prevent additional disasters or make the situation worse. Olde Fort Restoration is here to help you know the difference.
- Shut off the source of the water if you can find it or contact a qualified professional to stop the water flow.
- Turn off any circuit breakers for wet areas in the building if access to the panel is safe.
- Remove as much water as you can by mopping and blotting the area saturated with water.
- Wipe furniture down to remove excess water.
- Place aluminum foil between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Prop up any wet upholstery cushions for drying.
- Lift drapes off or other hanging fabrics off the floor and ensure they are hung for proper drying.
- Remove wet area rugs or other carpeting that is not attached to the flooring.
- Turn on air conditioner or run fans if damage occurs if weather permits.
- Move valuable paintings, art objects, and photos to a safe, dry place.
- Open closet doors, furniture drawers, and luggage to aid in drying.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Use a shop-vac or household vacuum to remove the excess water.
- Use electrical appliances while standing on wet flooring or carpets. Do not enter these rooms either!
- Leave belongings such as books or other paper products on wet carpets or floors. The ink can bleed into the carpets and stain them.
- Use ceiling fixtures such as lights or fans where the ceilings seem to be sagging from retained water. Do not enter these rooms either!
- Wait to call Olde Fort Restoration for help. The longer you wait, the more damage will occur.
Remember, Olde Fort Restoration is on call for water damage emergencies and will arrive on site quickly to begin the restoration process. We’re your local Cincinnati experts on water mitigation and can find you the right water damage solution whether it’s a flooded basement, a heavy storm or a leaking roof. Olde Fort Restoration also provides furniture restoration services for items that may have been affected by the water damage. We take on jobs both large and small because even a minor water problem can turn into a bigger one.