What Do You Do After a Fire?
When your property suffers from a fire in Cincinnati, you may not know what to do first after the fire department has left. The charring from the fire, the leftover soot on all your stuff and the smoky odor that seems to linger everywhere – even on things the fire didn’t touch! Fire and smoke damage restoration involves understanding the complex chemical interactions that occur as a result of the high heat and burning damage during the fire. The soot leftover contains a complicated mixture of everything that burned in the fire including plastics, foams, fabrics, carpets, wood products, synthetic fibers or wool. This makes for a very corrosive substance that shouldn’t be left on any surface for too long without risking permanent damage.
- Limit movement to prevent soot particles from being embedded into the upholstery or carpets.
- Tape several layers of cheesecloth over all air registers to prevent smoke particulates from entering your ventilation systems.
- Cover upholstery with sheets (if the upholstery is not wet from the fire being put out).
- Cover carpeted areas with towels or old linens to prevent additional damage.
- Open windows for ventilation if weather permits.
- Clean and protect chrome trim on kitchen and bathroom faucets. You can apply a light coating of petroleum jelly or light oil on appliances to help protect them.
- If the electricity is shut off, empty the freezer and refrigerator completely. Prop the doors open with rolled towel or newspaper and discard any opened food packages.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to us for personal property damage restoration. We can clean and restore your belongings after they’ve been affected by fire or smoke with special cleaning processes.
- Use TV’s stereos, or electrical appliances until cleaned and checked.
- Use do-it-yourself carpet or upholstery rental equipment. These are unlikely to get the job done correctly and may actually do more harm than good.
- Wash any papered or flat painted walls. Incorrect cleaning procedures and the oils on your fingertips can actually compound soot residue and make it worse.
- Eat food that has been exposed to heat. It very possible it has been contaminated by smoke particulates.
It’s crucial that you call a professional fire damage restoration company in Cincinnati, OH like Olde Fort Restoration any time you have a fire. If you truly want to return your property and possessions to pre-loss condition, you’ll need a team of experts on site to assess and mitigate the damages. Call us today if your home or business has been affected by fire and smoke.